New and old styling system

Discuss here any questions about the WebLaF library.
Bugs can be posted directly to GitHub issues tracker.

New and old styling system

Postby rkk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:05 am

Hi, I just registered to this forum to ask about the same topic as here. I'm a bit confused with the current Styles Implementation. So the Skins will be something similar to a CSS file but in XML and it works with all the components.

But there is already some XML styling available (https://github.com/mgarin/weblaf/wiki/S ... troduction). What diference is there between the Styles and Skins?
rkk

Re: New and old styling system

Postby mgarin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm

rkk wrote:Hi, I just registered to this forum to ask about the same topic as here. I'm a bit confused with the current Styles Implementation. So the Skins will be something similar to a CSS file but in XML and it works with all the components.

Styling which first became available in v1.28 release was just a small unfinished part of upcoming changes for v1.29 update. What is coming is the same thing in the core but with some major updates and convenience improvements. And yes, unlike v1.28 it will work with all components.

rkk wrote:But there is already some XML styling available (https://github.com/mgarin/weblaf/wiki/S ... troduction).

This article is about upcoming changes and not something that is already available - I even mentioned there that it is: "Available since: WebLaF v1.29 release" - and that release is not yet done. This is basically a preview which you might read through to know what to expect and maybe give some feedback on it.

rkk wrote:What diference is there between the Styles and Skins?

Style represents styling for one specific component, for example a JButton or JTree.
Skin is simply a combination of multiple styles for various components.

In Swing you usually have L&F instead of skin and UI instead of style, but WebLaF offers its own implementation of UIs that can be easily configured through styles and allows gathering those styles into skin "packs" for convenient usage.
mgarin
Site Admin

Return to Questions